Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Where can I find free family law advice in California?

I am paying child support for my teen who is turning 18 in three months. What are the steps for appropriately cutting off child support on his 18th birthday? I am asking because it's guaranteed that my ex-wife will threaten legal action when I cut off support (even though he's turning 18). Are there any loop holes she can get me on?Where can I find free family law advice in California?
The State of California maintains a good self-help website. It is not nearly comprehensive, but it will give you a good idea on where to start. Go to ';Families %26amp; Children.'; (http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/selfhelp/) The Family Law Facilitator also provides low-cost or no-cost legal advice for family law matters. (http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/selfhelp/low鈥?/a>





The Q%26amp;A section states that Court-ordered child support usually ends when the child: (1) marries or registers a domestic partnership, (2) dies, (3) is emancipated,


turns 18 and is not a full-time high school student, or (4)


turns 19, whichever occurs first.





Hope this helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment